Monday 28 November 2011

I'm Getting Braces!

A few years ago I went to my first orthodontist appointment, who was recommended by my dentist, he took one look at my teeth and told me that the treatment would be cosmetic and that he would not cover them under the NHS so I should go somewhere else if I wanted them done through the NHS. Safe to say, we did not return. 
Last year I visited another orthodontist who had a better look at my teeth, took a mould of them and took an x-ray. He decided that I did need braces but once again, my teeth weren't bad enough to be covered by the NHS which I wasn't too bothered about. The only braces that were offered to me were those brightly coloured beaded ones that everyone had when they are about 12-16. Slightly lame at 18.. We were told that they would be in contact when they had the moulds sent back and a treatment plan written up. It took them forever to get back to us, must have been a good three or four months so I gave up waiting during that time. 
A few months ago I saw a video on Meganheartsmakeup vlog channel on youtube about an orthodontic treatment called Invisalign. I did some research on Invisalign and found out that it is a clear, removable, brace that you change every two weeks which helps to straighten your teeth in the same way the typical metal brace does. Since I saw them I had my heart set on them. I loved that they were practically invisible and could be taken out. I looked for local orthodontists that supplied Invisalign and contacted them for an appointment. Last week I went for my 90 minute assessment (if you follow me on twitter, you may have seen that tweet.) During that time my orthodontist had a long chat with me about what I want from the treatment and how perfect I want my teeth. I told him that I wasn't looking for A* Celebrity looking teeth but for them just to be a bit neater and straighter (I have overcrowding) He took some pictures of my teeth by making me pull my mouth apart with some plastic rods, it hurt a lot, so much that my mouth went numb! This was followed by an X-ray which showed my wisdom teeth right near the top of my gums (ahh!) The outcome of the assessment was that Invisalign was probably not the best option for me as they would straighten my teeth but will cause them to stick out up to 6mm! My next option was a ceramic brace with a white wire and transparent beads which I will wear for about 9 months, have taken off, have two of my teeth on the top row taken out and then have the brace put back on. After 18 months I will have a super thin metal wire retainer fitted at the back of my teeth on the top and bottom which will be on for the rest of my life. I will also have to wear the plastic retainers for 2 nights a week for the rest of my life (chore!)
I'm not sure I'm completely ready to become a metal mouth but if I don't do it now my teeth will only get worse. My parents are still having to pay for them (oops!)
Have any of you had braces before, Please feel free to give me some advice on what not to eat or what I should carry with me at all times or help with pain, anything! 
XX

6 comments:

  1. Oh gosh what a fuss you've had to go through for braces, seems a bit of a pain!

    I got braces when I was 12 (on the NHS) for just under 12 months and they turned out so perfectly straight! However... I never wore my retainers afterwards so I now have slightly wonky bottom teeth and my two front teeth stick out slightly. So as you will have to wear retainers afterwards, I cannot stress how much you should wear them no matter what! I am so angry with myself now (I even paid again to get new ones when my teeth no longer fit the first ones... then I stopped wearing them and you can probably guess what happened).

    As for pain, I don't think anything really helped unfortunately, but I suppose it differs for each person really. Always carrying Paracetamol could help. NEVER eat chewing gum! I had some bad experiences doing that! Also do not chew any material that has loose thread things (like velcro), as I chewed my school bag once and got my braces stuck to my bag. Niiiiice.

    It sounds like having braces was a bad thing but I actually loved mine!

    I am sure you will be very thankful for having them! If you want to ask me anything, feel free to email me (it's on my blog) :).

    Jazz xo
    cupcakesnsweets.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much for your comment Jazz, very useful X

    ReplyDelete
  3. god you've been through so much in regards to your teeth. i've never had braces myself but a bunch of people i know have and the dentist will tell you everything you need to know about aftercare. my wisdom teeth have caused a tooth on the bottom of my mouth to pop out of place pretty badly so i see braces in my future...
    would love to read a follow up on when you actually get them (: x

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm planning on doing some more braces themed follow up posts soon! X

    ReplyDelete
  5. I had Invisalign for about 2 years. My orthodontist promised I'd get the same results as braces but I did not! They don't get your teeth as straight as braces do. Although they are almost invisible, I now wish I could have just gotten braces so that my teeth would be straighter!

    You will be so glad you got them :) time flies and you'll love your teeth after :)

    xoxo Denise

    http://allthingsnew-denise.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the advice Denise X

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to read and comment on my blog!